Mr Neal Banga
MD MBChB FRCS (Gen Surg)
I have been a consultant transplant and endocrine surgeon at the Royal Free for over two years. My main interest is complex laparoscopic surgery, and adrenal and retroperitoneal tumours.
Having first worked on the transplant unit at St James’s Hospital in Leeds, I completed my general surgery training in London, and then underwent specialist training in renal transplantation and laparoscopic renal/adrenal surgery at Guys and the Royal Free hospitals.
Renal transplantation, vascular access, adrenal and retroperitoneal surgery, parathyroid surgery
Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy
Vascular and peritoneal dialysis access
Parathyroid and thyroid surgery
Improvement of patient recovery after major surgery (“enhanced recovery programme”)
Transplantation in obese patients
Machine perfusion of organs for transplantation
1. NR Banga, S Homer-Vanniasinkam, A Graham, SA White, A. Al-Mukhtar, KR Prasad. Ischaemic preconditioning in transplantation and major resection of the liver. (Review Article). British Journal of Surgery 2005; 92: 528-38.
2. NR Banga, DO Kessel, JV Patel, SA White, SG Pollard, KR Prasad, GJ Toogood. Endovascular management of arterial conduit pseudoaneurysm – a report of two cases. Transplantation 2005; 79:
3. NR Banga, SC McKay, JC Crinnion. Spontaneous rupture of a left gastroepiploic artery pseudoaneurysm. Surgical Practice 2009; 13:56-7
4. S Sinha, A Wardle, V Kalidindi, N Banga, DL Stoker. Erosion and perforation of the biliary tree by plastic biliary endoprosthesis (a case series). Endoscopy 2010; 42: 760-3
5. N Banga, V Hadjianastassiou, N Mamode, F Calder, J Olsburgh, M Drage, C Sammartino, G Koffman and J Taylor. Outcome of surgical complications following simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation.
Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2012; 27: 1658-63
6. NR Banga, KR Prasad, JL Burn, S Homer-Vanniasinkam, A Graham. An In-Vitro Model of Warm Hypoxia-Reoxygenation Injury in Human Liver Endothelial Cells. Journal of Surgical Research 2012; 78: E35-41
7. N Banga and D Nicol. Techniques in laparoscopic donor nephrectomy (Review Article). BJU International 2012; 110: 1368-73
8. G Bond-Smith, N Banga, T Hammond, C Imber. Clinical review of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. BMJ 2012; 344: 45-50
Registration & Memberships
Registration and licensing
Memberships and associations
- Member of BTS