Genetic counselling and genetic testing may be helpful for you if:
- there are several members of your family who have had breast cancer, particularly at younger ages (below age 50)
- you or your close relative has had
- ovarian cancer
- you or a close relative has had bilateral breast cancer (cancer in both breasts)
- there is breast and ovarian cancer in your family
- your family is Jewish and you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer
- you have a relative who has been shown to carry a BRCA gene mutation
- you have had triple negative breast cancer under the age of 50 years.
The results of genetic testing may help healthcare providers and their patients make more informed healthcare decisions. For example, a woman who knows she carries a BRCA mutation can start cancer screening at an earlier age and could consider risk reducing surgery to lower her risks.
Not everyone with a personal and/or family history of breast cancer needs to have a genetic test so it is important you understand the implications as well as the limitations of undergoing testing before deciding if it is the best option for you.
A genetic test that confirms the presence of a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation. BRCA mutations are responsible for the majority of hereditary breast and ovarian cancers.
Integrated BRACAnalysis: MyRisk
A 25 gene panel that evaluates a broad number of hereditary cancer syndromes to help define patients’ cancer risk with a focus on eight primary cancer sites.
Multisite 3 BRACAnalysis®
Analysis of the three most common BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in individuals of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
Single Site (Mutation-Specific) Analysis
Examines a small portion of DNA specifically for a gene mutation(s) previously identified in another family member.
Next-generation, multi-gene prognostic test for patients diagnosed with breast cancer. The test determines if it is safe to give hormone therapy or not in ER+ Her2- breast cancers.
In partnership with Myriad Genetics
www.myriad.com (for patients)
www.myriadpro.com (for consultants)
+ 44 (0) 20 3603 2511